Date:      30 Apr 1999 15:47:01 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, adrian@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

"Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com> writes:
> W Gerald Hicks wrote:
> > > I find it really curious that layered filesystems seem to never be
> > > considered for the jobs they were created for.
> > Filesystem layering is not in very good shape right now, although
> > Eivind has been spotted making good progress.
> AFAIK, he is making the existing fs (more specifically nullfs and
> maybe unionfs) work, not correcting any existing flaw in the
> layering code.

He is fixing the (currently completely bogus) vnode locking system so
it will actually lock vnodes. The downside is, our current NFS
implementation relies on vnode locking being broken. Fixing stacking
layers will break NFS.

That's my understanding of the matter, anyway.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no