Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:43:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      JAKO Andras <goya@eik.bme.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   EtherExpress Pro/10+

 Hello,

I've got a problem with my Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ nic.  I use a TP
cable.

When I switch on my 4.0-STABLE box, the nic doesn't seem to work.  The OS
recognizes my card:

ex0: <Intel Pro/10+> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 5 on isa0
ex0: Ethernet address 00:a0:c9:ce:35:30

and ifconfig ex0 shows, that ex0 is up.

But if I try to access any other host, there's no response.  (E.g. I can't
ping my default gateway.)  The solution is to do some random

ifconfig [-]link[012]

Sometimes I do some 6 or 7 ifconfig commands, sometimes only 1 of them
helps, and sometimes the nic works just fine as I start up my box, without
any further actions.

There are many subsets of chosen links (what ifconfig shows) from the 0,
1, 2 set by the time the nic works.   E.g. now ifconfig shows

<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,LINK0,LINK1,LINK2>

but there were many other combinations of LINK0, LINK1 and LINK2, when my
card started to work.

I cvsup-ed about a week ago, and it didn't helped.  I searched the mailing
list archives, but I didn't find much interesting about this kind of
problem.

I had ran WinNT for two years on this box before, and there was no problem
with this nic.

Please tell me what else should I tell you about this.  Any help is
welcome.  Thanks.
                                        Goya