Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:25:41 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind8.2.3 and installation problem

On 30 Jan 2001, at 15:44, Andrew Heybey wrote:

> 2. Can easily make a binary package that can be simply pkg_add'ed on systems
> without source (I have tried it on 3.2 and 4.2).

That's a good point Andrew.  I compiled bind on a dual XEON, then did a
make package, and copied the tarball to my DNS server and did a
pkg_add.  This process took about 10 minutes from start to finish.  To
do that on my DNS server (which is a 486) would have taken hours.

note: remember to use the same make options at all stages of the
process.  e.g.

# make PREFIX=/usr PIDDIR=/var/run DESTETC=/etc/namedb
DESTEXEC=/usr/libexec DESTRUN=/var/run DESTSBIN=/usr/sbin
DESTHELP=/usr/share/misc install

# make PREFIX=/usr PIDDIR=/var/run DESTETC=/etc/namedb
DESTEXEC=/usr/libexec DESTRUN=/var/run DESTSBIN=/usr/sbin
DESTHELP=/usr/share/misc package

cheers

--
Dan Langille