Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 10:53:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving some mail.

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Like Bill has said, it is the paradigm used Usenet. It works but it is much
> > slower than mail  (even with the timeouts).  The vast majority of sites are
> > three or four  hops away  from  the other.  Usenet  can make it more   then
> > twenty...
>
> I think what *really* needs to happen is for sendmail to get a lot
> smarter about this..  Sendmail knows who it can't reach, and if it
> kept timing statistics for some number of "frequent destinations" then
> it could even intuit who was slow and who was fast, reordering its
> work queue accordingly.

	it is the USENET paradigm.  it does not have some of the
drawbacks of netnews.   each person has to subscribe, we can filter
particular individuals, we can limit the operation to three hops
(freefall, regional mail hub, destination | MX'er)

	sendmail does not do what we want in this regard.  reordering the
queue will not decrease the number of sendmail processes (someone still
has to shovel to those sites).

	perhaps regional mail hubs is bogus and two parallel lists is
more appropriate--the fast lane and the slow--this will bugger everyone
in europe and does not decrease the mail load on freefall.

	regional hubs, say one in germany, would deliver to everyone in
germany (barring strange topologies) with only one message passing from
freefall to the german mail hub.  that one message would then get exploded
out to chris kuku, stephan esser, and everyone else associate with that
regional mail hub.  (association between mail hub and subscriber kept on
freefall.  consulted by majordomo when creating the mail envelope.  have
bulk_mailer to a lookup on the subscriber in the association file.  use
the result to create the mail envelope.)

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346