Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 14:09:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        dutchman@spase.nl, terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Glitch in install procedure.

> >That's because it couldn't ask BIOS to tell it what was good.
>
> Actually, it's because it couldn't ask ufs for where the blocks in /kernel
> are.  It knows what the BIOS geometry is supposed to be since it just
> created a partition table that usually won't work unless you told it the
> BIOS geometry.

It can ask.  The BIOS won't tell it because the BIOS will stop at 1024
cylinders because the BIOS doesn't use sector addressing like it should.

> >Silly FreeBSD, trusted you to know what you were doing.  8-).
>
> It's a feature that you can write /kernel on a file system whose partition
> has BIOS cylinders >= 1024.  Silly BSD allows writing to such file systems
> :-).  (Except possibly at install time, there is nothing special about
> /kernel.).

There's no problem there.  The bug there is the BIOS boot code, the
*limitied* second stage boo blocks, and the *limited* INT 13 interface
the second stage boot blocks use (just like the BIOS boot blocks, just
like the BIOS POST).

It's a BIOS limitation, not a BSD limitation; it's not very surprising
(to me anyway) that BSD doesn't see the limit on the install.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.