Date:      02 Mar 2003 12:34:38 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Rui Lopes <rui@ruilopes.com>
Cc:        "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: GNOME Fifth Toe 2.1.99]

--=-vsxpZaSKpTEf27nZfUvA

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 07:54, Rui Lopes wrote:
> Mezz bsdforums.org wrote:
>=20
> >> If you're looking for something to port, the official GNOME 2 Fifth To=
> >> has been announced.  He have a good number of these ports in the tree
> >> already.  For those not there, I'd be happy to take new port PRs.
> >

> > Hey, I have a question. Which do you prefer to follow the list? This=20
> > email or over at http://5toe.lyrical.net ? Because, over at website=20
> > has more list than in this email.
> >
> > I think, I am going to take Regexxer, it looks useful tool. So, is=20
> > anyone working on Regexxer yet?=20
>=20
> I've allready have a port for it (and I did talk about it some time=20
> ago), but there is one little problem that I didn't found a "neat"=20
> solution..

Sorry, I've been busy, and some things tend to slip through the cracks.

>=20
>=20
> What I've done,
>=20
> - I've talked with pcre por maintainer and we now have a utf8 option in=20
> pcre port (this option is not enabled by default).

I saw that.

>=20
> - I've created a pcre-utf8 child-port, but this leads to a problem, if=20
> the user has the pcre port installed they need to manually remove it=20
> before installing this child-port, I didnt found a neat solution for=20
> this.. (this is my little problem).

You need to create a slave port that enables the UTF-8 support in PCRE,
then depend on that port instead.  It would be nice if there could be
one unique file to discern the two installations.

>=20
>=20
> Right now the utf8 feature of pcre lib seems to be in a experimental=20
> state, so having a pcre sharedlib might bring some issues to ports that=20
> depend on the normal pcre, nevertheless, I'm almost sure that this will=20
> work just fine. (at least it's working fine here)

You might not like this, but check what I did for gnet-glib2.  I wanted
to go the slave port route, but ports that depended on regular gnet
wouldn't like the glib2 version.  Therefore, I had to do a repo copy,
and basically hack the port to install files in a new location.

>=20
>=20
> If anyone has a better solution for my little problem, tell me about it!

There's also one other alternative.  You can do something similar to
what is done for Evolution/db3.  That is, build pcre-utf8 as part of
regexxer, and link it in statically.  This is a mess, too, but if
regexxer is the only port that will consume pcre-utf8, then it will save
users some trouble with potential conflicts.

Joe

>=20
> I will send-pr both ports today.
>=20
> Cheers,
> -- Rui Lopes
>=20
>=20
> with "unsubscribe freebsd-gnome" in the body of the message
--=20

--=-vsxpZaSKpTEf27nZfUvA

--=-vsxpZaSKpTEf27nZfUvA--