Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:49:21 +0000
From:      Philippe Rathe <prathe@reevescommunication.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   corruped files with tar to a tape

Hello to all of you geeks!

Maybe we will loose our backup.

I use this to backup from a samba share mount with mount_smbfs to ascsi
tape:

cd /mnt/samba_share
tar -zc some_directory

The output of tar look like this :

tar: file file.html shrunk by 144 bytes, padding with zeros.
tar: file file2.html shrunk by 172 bytes, padding with zeros.

tar did this for all files!
Now that I unzip and untar it, the file is corrupted.

tar -zx some_directory/file.html

It has the same size of the original but the end of the files ( 5%)
has been overwritten by zeros!

Ok I discover this with a test:
when I tar from a directory that is mount on our file server tar says
that it
shrunk files and pad it. Even if I use the "z" option or not.

So I check if it were tar or gzip that corupt and it is not tar because:

cat /dev/sa0 | gzip -dc > tape.tar

and I tar the original directory on which I am testing and backuping and:

- the both original tar and the one backuped were on the same size
- diff output that all files were different.

Can I say that the files on the tape is overwritten with zeros?
cat /dev/sa0 > tape.tar.gz doesn't work but
cat /dev/sa0 | gzip -dc works but the tarfile is different from original
but the same size.

I really don't know what to do.

Thanksa a lot.

Philippe