Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:32:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <ak@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum detach

On Saturday, 27 January 2001 at  7:49:33 +0300, Alexey Koptsevich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> vinum(8) man says about detach:
> If removing the object would impair the data integrity of the volume, the
> operation will fail unless the -f option is specified.
>
> What happens if I detach subdisk which cointains data? Am I right
> that vinum attempts to move the data to other subdisks in the plex,
> and if there is enough space for it subdisk is detached
> successfully, otherwise operation fails?

Not quite.  You're apparently talking about a single plex, either
itself detached or the only plex in a volume.  You can't move data to
another subdisk, because that would destroy the data in the other
subdisk.  Under these circumstances, the detach would fail unless you
use the -f option, in which case you would damage the plex.

If, on the other hand, you had at least two plexes, and all the data
in the subdisk also exists on other plexes, then the detach would
succeed, and the plex would be put in a non-up state.

> Please cc: your reply to me.

That's normal.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.