Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 17:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Alex Holst <a@area51.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Alex Holst wrote:

> That should be verified often with scanssh or something similar. I was
> surprised when I read about the compromise, because it gives the impression
> that people are still using passwords (as opposed to keys with passphrases)
> for authentication in this day and age. Is that correct? If so, why is that?

	based on what i've read this morning, it wouldn't have made
	all that much of a difference. aparently the compromised
	version of ssh recorded passphrases, and keys.

	i don't see how else you could have avoided this problem.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
 "which then led me to realize leading my life by the motto 'i'm not
      as bad as jan' would still let me get away with A LOT"
	--- j. leah williams, University of Chicago, 19 Jan, 2001