Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:24:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shazad Ahmad <sahmad@interlog.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Printing problems

Please offer any advice relating to my printing problem with FreeBSD 2.10
I have a Canon BJ4100 Colour BubbleJet printer and I get the following
error whenever I send something to the printer via lpr:

lpr: connect: no such file or directory
job has been queued but daemon failed to start

Note: the printer is connected and functional with Windows 95/NT, etc.
and FreeBSD can print a test page to it via lprtest.

The following is my Printcap file:

#       @(#)printcap    5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

#lp|local line printer:\
#       :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
lp|canon line:\
        :sh:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :if=/var/local/libexec/if-simple:\
        :if=/var/log/canon.log

Thanks,

Shazad
P.S. I have a P90 with 32MB RAM and I have created the spool directory
mentioned above. I also have about 10MB free HD space according to the df
command.
I was logged in as root at the time of these tests.