Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 23:04:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crimping SCSI cables

>> I am using an AHA-1542C host adapter.  This adapter, I am told, is
>> very sensitive to cabling problems.  I need a SCSI cable with all 8
>> connectors, but haven't seen any in what I would consider a reasonable
>> price range (most are >$80 or so).  Does anybody know if I should
>> expect a problem if I crimp my own?
> I have not observed my 1542CF was all that sensitive to cabling.

I haven't noticed a real problem with it, but then I've only used one
cable.  Again, this is just what I read.  (I have noticed it choking
rather horribly if there's something wrong with the termination, but
that's to be expected.)

> Your 1542C? Not CF? Not "Fast"? Then at 5 MHz SCSI bus speed it
> would be comparably immune to lots of the nasty stuff that bites
> others.

I've wondered about this one.  The card's bios ID's it as a C, and
doesn't mention CF anywhere I could find, but the kernel driver says
it reports board ID 0x44, which is CF.  (0x43 is the C.)

> "Active Termination" cures lots of ills.

I've considered that, too.

> I make my own cables all the time. Keep meaning to buy the special tool,
> as even the stamped steel made-in-China $30 cheapie tool works better
> than a cast iron vice. And its easier to carry around.  :-)

We have the tool at work.  I make ribbon cables when I need 'em (which
is infrequent, but happens).  Problem is, we lost a plastic holder in
the tool, so I'm back to the vice.

> Some IDC connectors have a keying tab in the middle on one side. That's
> a good thing, look for it when you buy. As long as all your connectors
> are on the cable right, that tab will/should prevent you from
> connecting the cable to your devices wrong.

Yes, I bought a cable w/o tabs not long ago.  Hooked it up and all,
with host adapter, three HDs, tape drive, then 2 cd-roms.  Coulda
sworn I had ascertained which pin on that tape drive was pin 1.  Guess
I was wrong.  But I have no sense of smell, so I didn't know my
cable's shielding was melting away until I started tasting the fumes.
I wondered why nothing would ID in the bootup scan.  Haven't tested
the tape drive yet, but everything else still runs.

> Doesn't it sound awful? All this for $2 connectors and $1/foot cable.
> Pre-built cables are often $3 to $5 (cheaper than I can buy the parts).
> The problem is, I can make my own internal SCSI cable that fits
> exactly, rather than make do with pre-built cables.

Funny, all the prebuilt 8-connector SCSI cables I could find were
custom-built, upwards of $80 or so.  AMP has a part for it at $15, but
I only need one and they have a 25-piece minimum.

<sigh>

Thanks for the info,
joelh

--