Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:54:08 +0200
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        kamalp@acm.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vode to pathname

"Kamal R. Prasad" <kamalpr@yahoo.com> writes:
> So the question is, how do I get hold of pathname given
> vnode*/(inode, devno, generation no) -without relying on the name
> cache (on freebsd)?

You can't.  The semantics of Unix file systems are such that the
mapping from file name to file is one-way.  Furthermore, a file can be
associated with more than one file name, or even none at all (if it
has been unlinked but is still held open by a process).

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no