Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:44:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Russell J. Lahti" <russell@ajboggs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps ax shows login after 4.2-RELEASE -> 4-STABLE upgrade

Quoting Cleto Pescia <cleto@eurisco.com>:
> I'm sorry if this question sounds odd, but I just noticed a strange
> thing after having updated a 4.2-RELEASE box to 4-STABLE with make world:
> When I issue "ps ax", I see a login line for each user (login -p
> <username>) who is logged on. I have never seen something like that on
> other FreeBSD boxes. Is something wrong or is that an expected
> behaviour? Searching the mailing-lists archives did not return anything
> relevant. Apart from that, up to now the box seems to be working just fine.

It could very well be a trojan login command, but thats just
a possibility.  I would be sure to check on it if I were you
though.  With all of the telnetd problems still happening and
all.. I've fixed a few boxes for other people with trojan login
scripts put in place.

Then again, it may be nothing at all, but I don't see those
results on *any* of my 4.3-S systems.

-Russell