Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:39:07 +0100
From:      Mark Hannon <mark.hannon@stockholm.mail.telia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp/chat no longer able to access /dev/tty from exec

Hi,

I have previously used the following scripts to dial
into my employer.  I am prompted for userid and a password
(which is dynamically created for me by a little credit
 card security number generator).

I haven't logged onto work for some months, and now, when
I try to use my recently upgraded 3.0 box to do it the
chat script doesn't work. The !/etc/ppp/prompt_password
no longer attaches to the ppp terminal but connects to
some other file descriptors.  Is there any way to get the
old behaviour back?  (I had a brief look at the code but
got quickly overwhelmed...)

Here are the relevant portions:

>From ppp.conf:
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 Username:-\\r-Username:
!/etc/ppp/prompt_passwd word: !/etc/ppp/prompt_passwd ~"

doorway:~> more /etc/ppp/prompt_passwd
#!/bin/sh
echo -n "($*)  " >&2
read x