Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 02:54:57 -0400
From:      Isaac Mushinsky <imush@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Re: Advice on ISP services Please.

Subject: Re: Advice on ISP services Please.
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 02:50:16 -0400
From: Isaac Mushinsky <imush@mail.ru>
To: Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>

> - How to restrict the access of FTP to only the specified directory of =
the
> user. And that they can not see other users directories.

You can set security to tight, and I think users then cannot list other t=
han
their home directories. Or there are ftpd options, I think, to define ftp
privileges.

> - How to implement quotas with FTP so users only can have a limit on sp=
ace.

look at man quota. FTP or no, it sets max size of user's home directories=
 via
/etc/quota.user or quota.group

> - How to avoid users have access to telnet services.

Here are some options:
1) just turn telnet off. Comment the line "telnet" in inetd.conf and rest=
art
inetd. If you really want a secure environment, you can't allow any
nonencrypted telnet at all. Use ssh instead
2) If you want no shell acces for them at all put shell as /sbin/nologin =
in
/etc/passwd for these users. They can still be allowed ftp.
3) If for some reason you still need some telnet service, forbid those us=
ers
you want to restrict to have remote login in /etc/login.access

> - How to avoid that a script of a user can consume lot of resources and
> could crash the machine.

4) It really shouldn't crash the machine. If a user process eats a lot of
resources, renice it. It is allso possible to setpriority/renice on user
processes. Look at man nice.

> Mail servers are run on other machine as well as DNS.
> What other important points am I missing?

Get a good box with a lot of RAM, etc. Have a backup box, etc. Well, it's=
 all
obvious.

Good luck