Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:25:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        Steven Rutter <steven@che.softaid.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procmail (fwd)

 >> As the mail from this list mounts I feel the need to use procmail. :*) I
 >> created my ~/.procmailrc file correctly [I think] but it does not seem to
 >> work. The manpage says that it can be started "over the .forward file" or
 >> the sysadmin can set it up. It does not explain how to do either of those
 >> however. I would prefer to set it up system-wide. Does anyone know how to
 >> do this?

Assume procmail is in /usr/local/bin

My setup is below. The .forward file tells the local mail delivery
agent to use procmail.
Procmail will look for a file called ~/.procmailrc
My .procmailrc first does some spam checking, and then tells procmail
to read the file ~/.procmail/rc.maillists. It also logs stuff into
 ~/.procmail/pmlog.
The file rc.maillists has rules for separating out the messages from
different mailling lists into folders in ~/Mailfiles/LISTS/XXX.mail
You should be able to cut-n-paste stuff from the files included and
get the beginnings of a simple procmail filter.

[vshah@hal] ~> cat ~/.forward
"| IFS=' ';exec /usr/local/bin/procmail #vshah"

---------------------------------

[vshah@hal] ~> cat ~/.procmailrc
#Set on when debugging
VERBOSE=off

#Replace `mail' with your mail directory (Pine uses mail, Elm uses Mail)
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mailfiles
#Directory for storing procmail log and rc files
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
JFDIR=$PMDIR/junkfilter-export
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/pmlog

#Use the Junk filter
INCLUDERC=$JFDIR/rc.junk

:0 :
* SPAMMER ?? .
| formail -i "X-Fkey: junk" -i "X-Spammer: $SPAMMER" >> junkmail

#catch the mailing list stuff
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.maillists

---------------------------------

[vshah@hal] ~> cat ~/.procmail/rc.maillists
SHELL=/bin/sh
SENDMAIL=/usr/lib/sendmail
PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/bin:/home/users/toconnor/bin

:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 32768 msgid.cache

:0
* ^Sender:.*owner.*@.*freebsd.org$