Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 03:03:20 -0500
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mylex AcceleRAID 150 problems [solved]

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:24:23AM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > # mlxcontrol status -v mlxd0
> > mlxcontrol: couldn't get controller/drive for /dev/mlxd0
> > mlxd0: online
>
> You haven't created the /dev/mlx0 control node (bug in the application
> not telling you this).

Thanks - one thing that went right the other day.

> > I read up on the booting process and figured I must be getting past
> > boot[012] to the loader since I get the "press enter to boot immediately"
> > autocount prompt, so the problem must be when it tries to read "kernel".

After many days of trial & error, mailing list searching, Mylex
tech support calling, and rebooting (the latter making me feel
like an NT admin), I believe I've found the source of the problems.

To summarize, about 3 out of 5 times, boot-up would hang at the "hit
enter to continue" prompt just before reading the kernel.  This abruptly
changed to drive 0:0 being dead to the AcceleRAID 150 controller.  To make
matters worse, the Ezassist software kept hanging when I tried to access
the failed drive (which was spinning and seemed fine).

First problem: I had an old video card in the server which was not
Plug-n-Play.  This caused IRQ conflicts which I think were the reason
for my frequent hangs with the Ezassist software.  A new $25 card has
fixed this issue.

I've concluded that the more serious issue of the system hanging just
as it tried to read the kernel is due to the fact that I didn't
initialize the logical drive.  This isn't as dumb as it sounds.  The
problem was that I actually believed the Ezassist software, which,
after creating the RAID array stated:

"RAID drive configuration is successful.  You may utilize this drive
immediately."

I took that to mean, "Go ahead and install the OS," but apparently,
initialization does something very important to the logical drive.
This takes on the order of hours, depending on the size of the
drives - mine were 2x9G and took 1-2 hours.

For my information, what does the initialization do?
Is the initialization step documented somewhere that I missed (it's not
in the Mylex Install guide)?  I thought that newfs'ing the filesystem
would take care of things.

Finally, before I put this issue to rest and get on with my life,
I'll share some other things I learned along the way for the list
archives (in light of putting up a separate web page of my own).

- Mylex tech support were very good.  They didn't find the source of my
problem, but they had plenty of good ideas, and were willing to escalate
the issue to an engineer.  Their hours are very convenient at 6 a.m.
to 6 p.m. PST, and they were always immediately available on the phone
(no holding).  Just as impressive was that they knew about FreeBSD, didn't
once try to blame the OS, and didn't jump to the "reinstall everything"
solution that seems to solve many Windows problems.

- To format the drive using the RAID card, you have to change the SCSI
id of the drive so the controller thinks it's a new drive, format it,
then change it back.

-  Back up your RAID configuration to a floppy.  If the config gets wiped
from the card, it does read it from the hard drive, but be safe.

- I upgraded the BIOS, firmware, and Ezassist software with no problems
(as Mike stated it should go).  To be safe, I disconnected all drives
to eliminate any potential for communication problems while doing this.
Warning: in my case, a config file backed up with an earlier version of
Ezassist was not readable by a later version, so back up your config
immediately after upgrading.  This may not be true and may simply be
related to my issues.

- The latest version of Ezassist (2.02-00) shows the drive capacity to
3 decimal places; earlier versions (1.00-16, which came on the card)
had only one.  This is important because if you try and replace a failed
drive in the future, that original 9G IBM Ultrastar may provide 8.542G
of space, but another 9G IBM Ultrastar may provide only 8.511G.  If you
don't want to upgrade the software on the card, you can put the latest
Ezassist on a bootable (Win95/98) disk and run it from the floppy.

- Mylex tech support told me that the biggest factor in matching drives
is size.  The array will perform as well as the worst drive.  Obviously,
identical drives are ideal, but if you can't do that, match as much
as possible, making sure your size is equal to or greater than the
existing drive.

Hope this helps someone else out there!

Omar