Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:00:53 +0200
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hansot@iae.nl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dennis Berger <Dennis.Berger@nipsi.de>
Subject:   Problems with STABLE Snapshot server (Was: dirprefcode on snapshot  mfsroot)

Dennis Berger wrote:

> Hi,
> today I installed the latest freebsd-stable-4.4-20011001 snapshot from
> stable.freebsd.org. But while extracting the portsdir I was surprised
> that there was no speed up. I checked the newfsversion shipped with the
> snapshot installdisk and realize that this is an old newfs version that
> does not create a filesystem with the new dirpref code. Did somebody
> forgot to implement it into this newfs version ? or to copy it over the
> old one....

Hi folks,

I think that this lack of speedup is caused by the fact that the dirpref
commits never made it to the Stable Snapshot server. Today I did a
network install of 4.4-200110020-STABLE from releng4.freebsd.org, and
noticed that several files are out of date in /sys/ufs/ffs e.g.
ffs_alloc.c is still the old version:

	1.64.2.1 2000/03/16 08:15:53 ps

instead of:

	1.64.2.2 2001/09/21 19:15:21 dillon

Looks like something is wrong with the Snapshot server ...

Kind regards,

Hans