Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 23:25:53 -0500
From:      "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache: Can't access any page from remote PC

I have a dynamic IP and I'm running dns2go for that reason and I've been
trying to configure apache and I still can't access anything from a
remote pc, it times out all the time but I know apache is working
because if I type my hostname in netscape I get the apache index.html.en
page.  Now I edited my hosts file to this:

127.0.0.1              localhost.dns2go.com localhost
127.0.0.2              ecerejo.dns2go.com ecerejo
192.168.0.1          gateway.dns2go.com gateway

and I edited the "Listen" section to this:

# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
Listen 127.0.0.2:80

on my httpd.conf and httpd won't start and here's the error in
httpd-error.log

[Fri Mar 29 22:57:57 2002] [crit] (49)Can't assign requested address:
make_sock: could not bind to address 127.0.0.2 port 80

Here's everything that I edited in my httpd.conf:

-----------------------------x---------------------------------

These are in section 1 and are the only ones that I changed in this
section:

# Server-pool size regulation.  Rather than making you guess how many
# server processes you need, Apache dynamically adapts to the load it
# sees --- that is, it tries to maintain enough server processes to
# handle the current load, plus a few spare servers to handle transient
# load spikes (e.g., multiple simultaneous requests from a single
# Netscape browser).
#
# It does this by periodically checking how many servers are waiting
# for a request.  If there are fewer than MinSpareServers, it creates
# a new spare.  If there are more than MaxSpareServers, some of the
# spares die off.  The default values are probably OK for most sites.
#
MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 20

#
# Number of servers to start initially --- should be a reasonable
ballpark
# figure.
#
StartServers 10

#
# Limit on total number of servers running, i.e., limit on the number
# of clients who can simultaneously connect --- if this limit is ever
# reached, clients will be LOCKED OUT, so it should NOT BE SET TOO LOW.
# It is intended mainly as a brake to keep a runaway server from taking
# the system with it as it spirals down...
#
MaxClients 50

#
# MaxRequestsPerChild: the number of requests each child process is
# allowed to process before the child dies.  The child will exit so
# as to avoid problems after prolonged use when Apache (and maybe the
# libraries it uses) leak memory or other resources.  On most systems,
this
# isn't really needed, but a few (such as Solaris) do have notable leaks

# in the libraries. For these platforms, set to something like 10000
# or so; a setting of 0 means unlimited.
#
# NOTE: This value does not include keepalive requests after the initial

#       request per connection. For example, if a child process handles
#       an initial request and 10 subsequent "keptalive" requests, it
#       would only count as 1 request towards this limit.
#
MaxRequestsPerChild 10000

#
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
Listen 127.0.0.2:80
#Listen 216.82.145.240:80

----------------------------x---------------------------------------

Thes are the only ones that I changed in section 2:

#
# ServerAdmin: Your address, where problems with the server should be
# e-mailed.  This address appears on some server-generated pages, such
# as error documents.
#
ServerAdmin webdude@ecerejo.dns2go.com

#
# ServerName allows you to set a host name which is sent back to clients
for
# your server if it's different than the one the program would get
(i.e., use
# "www" instead of the host's real name).
#
# Note: You cannot just invent host names and hope they work. The name
you
# define here must be a valid DNS name for your host. If you don't
understand
# this, ask your network administrator.
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address
here.
# You will have to access it by its address (e.g., http://123.45.67.89/)

# anyway, and this will make redirections work in a sensible way.
#
# 127.0.0.1 is the TCP/IP local loop-back address, often named
localhost. Your
# machine always knows itself by this address. If you use Apache
strictly for
# local testing and development, you may use 127.0.0.1 as the server
name.
#
ServerName ecerejo.dns2go.com

#
# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but

# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/data"

#
# Each directory to which Apache has access, can be configured with
respect
# to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in that
# directory (and its subdirectories).
#
# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# permissions.
#
<Directory "/usr/local/www/data">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews ExecCGI Includes
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

#
# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.
#

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "/usr/local/www/data">

I'm confused about the Listen configuration, if I have a dynamic IP what
should I put there?
so far everytime I put something in there apache won't start!  And by
the way I can ping my hostname from any remote machine so I know the
dns2go thing is working also.
Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks.