Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 00:29:39 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 0.9 % frag

On 2002-09-01 17:08, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> At boot up, my system says:
>
> [Mounting root "/" to...] /dev/ad0s2a:
> FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
> /dev/ad0s2a:
> clean, 2081967 free
> (102551 frags, 247427 blocks, 0.9% fragmentation)
>
> Should I be concerned about 0.9% fragmentation?  Can fsck make it lower?

Short answer: no, and no.

For a longer answer, you have to understand a bit the way FreeBSD
splits the disk in blocks and 'fragments', and the way those are
allocated to data.  This is not the same "fragmentation" you might
have heard of when learning about tools like DOS's defrag utility.

--
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve -- http://www.FreeBSD.org