Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:32:43 +0100
From:      "Oliver Blasnik" <oliver.blasnik@de.tiscali.com>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <smp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "beemern" <beemern@ksu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Intel SE7500CW2 narrowed down...

Hello John,

> SMP is only broken on i386 for P4's on this one motherboard.
> It works perfectly fine on other motherboards.

This isn't my perception after reading PRs every day and also trying
out FreeBSD/SMP-STABLE+CURRENT sometimes on some of our labs hardware.

> I can tell you that the way in which we startup CPU's is quite within
> the IA-32 spec and that it's probably about 90% that this motherboard
> has some h0rked BIOS.

I know of this BIOS / tables problem. But why is f. ex. Linux able to
boot up without any glitch and works as fast as expected (not knowing
it from exactly this board, but from others I tested)?

Yes, I know, i shouldn't compare those two OS. But in fact, there
are many hardware related things working very, very well with Linux
and don't do with FreeBSD. And - I do compare those two OS every-
time if I try to get some people over to the FreeBSD side, so
comparing them has it's good sides, too ;-)

Oliver