Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:55:03 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Steve Brown <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .CORE files

At 18:29 11.23.2001 -0500, Steve Brown wrote:
>Hello there,
>
> >From time to time Netscape bonks out and when I leave X
>I find the message "Netscape blah blah core dumped"
>Sometimes I can find a .CORE file, other times I don't
>know where to look. So I have 2 questions:
>
>- How can I find -ALL- *CORE files, is there an equivalent
>   of the old MS DOS "dir /s" ?
>- Why does it "dump core"? Am I supposed to do something
>   with the resulting file?

1. find / -name "*core" -type f -ls
Be careful about cores that you find.  Only remove those that are actually
core files.  You can use the command:

file corename

That should tell you if the file is a real core file or not since there are
other files on the system (or directories which you shouldn't see with my
find command stated above) that are called core.

2. Netscape cores on probably everybody's machine at some time or
another.  It is usually the result of poor coding (on Netscape's part) and
sometimes its the result of a poorly admin'ed system.  In your case, I
would bet its netscapes code since I know a ton of people that get this
problem.  It could also be a poorly set up Netscape that could cause
cores.  Usually, the best thing to do is to remove the core file since its
really not needed for your sake.  OR, you could send the core dumps to
Netscape so that they can examine why the core happened which is the
purpose of core dumps anyway.  A core file is a physical readout of the
memory that netscape was using at the time it core'd.

- Jim

>Appreciate any advice, or hints as to where to RTFM.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Steve

- Jim

http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=67861&lastnode_id=67861