Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2015 09:57:57 -0600
From:      Paul Smith <paul.j.smith0@gmail.com>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what does "t" is /tmp permissions mean

 Ernie Luzar  wrote:
> doing "ls -l /" shows that the /tmp directory has these permissions
> drwxrwxrwt
>
> What does the "t" under other user mean?
> Where can I find documentation on permissions?

Section 4.4 in the handbook is about permissions.
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/permissions.html

t is the sticky bit.
"When the sticky bit is set on a directory, it allows file deletion
only by the file owner. This is useful to prevent file deletion in
public directories, such as /tmp, by users who do not own the file."

--
Paul Smith