Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:23:14 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        scott renna <flexble2547@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sis0 short cable fix

On Jan 24, 2004, at 9:20 AM, scott renna wrote:
> I'm wondering exactly, however, what would cause a
> message such as this to be displayed in dmesg:
>
> kernel:  sis0:  Applying short cable fix(reg=e8)
>
> My card seems to be working fine, and I'm wondering
> exactly what this means.
>
> Does anyone know and has anyone used this patch
> successfully?  I never saw this message in earlier
> versions of BSD.  I'm running 5.2 now.

I remember testing this or a variant of this patch; I have a:

sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX> port 0x1000-0x10ff mem
0xf4102000-0xf4102fff irq 9 at device 15.0 on pci0
sis0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:cc:75:97:29
miibus1: <MII bus> on sis0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus1
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

I gather the chipset tries to compute or adjust some DSP parameter
based on cable length, only it doesn't do the right thing for short
cable lengths, so the fix resets the value to something which works
better than the value the code would otherwise choose (absent this
fix).

--
-Chuck