Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:25:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: why new buildkernel (was HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' ..."

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 05:34:10 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Wyman wrote:
>
> >The buildkernel process is used _during_ an upgrade. After the
> >new 4.0 kernel has been booted and appropriate changes have been made to
> >the system, kernels may be built successfully in the traditional way.
>
> Why is this new procedure necessary.
> I recall reading is because of some new additions, but what were
> these additions (I have seen the name, but have no clue what
> they are.. binutils?) and why the new, more cumbersome,
> procedure?

From time to time the kernel build may depend on tools which are not yet
installed on the system, for example new versions of the compiler or
assembler (as was the case recently, which sparked this discussion). You
can either try and identify and install all of the new bits by hand prior
to building your kernel, or use buildkernel which uses the correct tools
automatically.

Kris