Date:      08 Jul 96 18:15:50 EDT
From:      Mark Ovens <100104.10@CompuServe.COM>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ATAPI CD-ROM's & FreeBSD 2.1.0

I have just bought FreeBSD 2.1.0 and I am having problems installing it as I
have an ATAPI CD-ROM, a Mitsumi FX400 (although all OS's & diagnostics programs
report it as being a FX001DE).
	If I use ATAPI.FLP then the 2nd IDE channel is found by the probe (wdc1
found @ 0x170-0x177 irq15) but when I select CD-ROM as the install media I get
the message "No CD-ROM found".
	Is there a workround,patch, or updated Kernel which improves ATAPI
support, which the README's describe as "Alpha quality"?
	Whilst I have 480Mb of free disk space only 170Mb is within the 1024
cylinder limit imposed by the BIOS for bootable partitions (I can't use the Disk
Manager software supplied with the disk drive, WD Caviar 850Mb, as it is not
compatible with OS/2 Warp which is also on the disk), so I am restricted to
170Mb for both a DOS partition to install from and the BSD target partition. I
would expect BSD to be able to access the whole 480Mb so I guess I could install
a basic system and then add the rest into another partition in the remaining
space but I feel that it would be a bit messy & time consuming to do.
	Any help would be greatly appreciated.

	Regards,
		Mark Ovens (UK)