Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 07:55:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Ross Davisson <davson@ni.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Boot

On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Ross Davisson wrote:

> I installed FreeBSD completely through the Walnut Creek
> CD-ROM, using the novice installation.  I installed it onto a
> partitioned 850 MB drive that was not the master drive (D: on
> my system).  The drive had (before installation of FreeBSD) a
> 300MB DOS partition, with nothing after that.  As I
> understand it, the FreeBSD boot manager should be able to
> support this non-standard boot.
>
> When finished, it told me to restart my computer.  I did.
> When I rebooted, before the "Starting MS-DOS" message, I get
> the message:
> NO ROM BASIC
> SYSTEM HALTED
>
> It boots fine from floppy disk.  By running fdisk, I found
> that no active partition was set, probably causing the
> errors.  Setting it to the C: drive made DOS work fine, but
> no FreeBSD...

I ran into this, too.  I think what happened is that the install program
put the boot manager onto the drive where you installed FreeBSD, instead
of the first drive where it should be.  What you'll need to do is
manually install one of the boot managers from the CD (I prefer the beta
osbs 2.0, personally) onto your C: drive.  That done, everything should
work fine.

Dave

David Walton                                     Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503