Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:24:10 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@MexComUSA.net>
To:        Paul Dlug <paul@nerdlabs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-admin@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SLIP/PPP over direct serial link

--------------10F7BA2F8F06BFE1538D5488

Paul Dlug wrote:

> Perhaps someone can help me out with this one, I've been playing with
> it since early this morning without much progress. Here is my problem:
> I have two laptops, one running linux, one running freebsd. My friend
> has succeeded in totally messing up the freebsd laptop and would like
> me to reinstall freebsd "properly" on it. So as to avoid losing his
> data I'd like to copy it over to the other linux laptop, the fbsd
> laptop doesn't have an ethernet card so I thought a serial link might
> be the best option. I have a nice rs232 cable setup between them and
> the freebsd machine setup to recieve incoming slip connections
> (freebsd's slip server seemed eaiser to work with than linux). I
> cannot figure out how to establish a link between the two...both have
> docs that talk about doing this over a modem, but over a direct cable?
> Can this be done? if so..what am I missing??
>

> --
> Paul Dlug
> Unix/Web Programmer
> paul@nerdlabs.com

First of all, are you using a null-modem cable?  (For example: Pins 2 &
3 - TX/RX crossed on RS232)  If you have enabled a getty process on one
of the ports, you should be able to login to that machine with any
terminal program.  As embarrassing as it my be, I use cu -l /dev/cuaa1
-s 9600 or something similar.  If that all works then you should be able
to connect with ppp or slip.  IMHO.

ed

Paul Dlug wrote:
been playing with it since early this morning without much progress. Here
is my problem: I have two laptops, one running linux, one running freebsd.
My friend has succeeded in totally messing up the freebsd laptop and would
like me to reinstall freebsd "properly" on it. So as to avoid losing his
data I'd like to copy it over to the other linux laptop, the fbsd laptop
doesn't have an ethernet card so I thought a serial link might be the best
option. I have a nice rs232 cable setup between them and the freebsd machine
setup to recieve incoming slip connections (freebsd's slip server seemed
eaiser to work with than linux). I cannot figure out how to establish a
link between the two...both have docs that talk about doing this over a
modem, but over a direct cable? Can this be done? if so..what am I missing??
<pre>--&nbsp;
Paul Dlug
Unix/Web Programmer
paul@nerdlabs.com</pre>
First of all, are you using a null-modem cable?&nbsp; (For example: Pins
2 &amp; 3 - TX/RX crossed on RS232)&nbsp; If you have enabled a getty process
on one of the ports, you should be able to login to that machine with any
terminal program.&nbsp; As embarrassing as it my be, I use cu -l /dev/cuaa1
-s 9600 or something similar.&nbsp; If that all works then you should be
able to connect with ppp or slip.&nbsp; IMHO.