Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 1998 11:52:52 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        shocking@quokka.prth.tensor.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: current-digest V4 #79

> Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> > I think that would violate the Kernel's "never use floating point" rule
> > because MMX uses the FP registers.  (and on Intel's MMX implementation
> > supposedly has a "large" context switch time between MMX and floating
> > point mode).

Much of this alledgedly large time comes from manually saving and restoring
all the FP registers. If you don't have to save them, then it becomes much
less costly. On the other hand, the AMD K6 has far less penalty for saving
them, but its MMX instruction set apparently runs at about 1/2 the speed of an
equivalently clocked P5-MMX. I think Tom's Hardware page & x86.org have some
hard numbers for all this.

	Stephen