Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:51:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: core group topics

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > 1) Satoshi's new Makefile.  His makefile has been around plenty long
> > enough for testing, and while several people have reported good results,
> > I've seen no negatives reported at all.  Will it get ignored or committed?
>
> I think it's hung up on the question of what to do with LDDESTDIR -
> all agree that it's broken as currently used now but no one wants to
> bell the cat, either. :-)

Hm, I think we just saw that one die.  Three cheers to Satoshi!

> > 2) John Polstra's ELF work.  He's done all the work that anyone could
> > possibly want, to move FreeBSD to ELF.  There are several good reasons to
> > move, and none excepting inertia not to.  I know that moving FreeBSD to
>
> Erm, "none excepting inertia and fear of chaos, confusion, shock and
> increased entropy all around." :) Inflicting another ABI on our user
> base, one which will result in a new class of packages which all older
> FreeBSD releases cannot run, is NOT something to be considered
> lightly.

I think "3.0" is about as big and scary as things get.  If we don't do
it here, it's going to be another two or thee years before we get
another chance, and by then what is a minor pain now is going to look
and feel like a Mack-branded suppository.