Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:16:04 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Hiroharu Tamaru <tamaru@myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        bvowk@3jane.math.ualberta.ca, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel ICC

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:57:05 +0900 Hiroharu Tamaru
<tamaru@myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:

> > Add "options CPU_ENABLE_SSE" and it should work (it seems only P4s
> > have this problem).
>
> Oh, brilliant!
> I'll reconfig the kernel and try it out as soon as I can have this
> system down for maintenance.  Thanks for the tip!
>
> Maintainer of icc port added to CC.  A message in the post-install
> target should be nice..  Here is the preceeding message for your
> reference.

ROTFL...

Ok. I am the maintainer of the port, and I already added a message to
post-install (together with an update to the latest icc version).

It would be nice if you could send me the results of benchmarks (if
permitted by your employer).

Don't expect the multithreading to have a significant positive impact. A
local computer magazin (http://www.heise.de/iX/) played a little bit
around with it and the result was, that it isn't good for the kernel
scheduler (better performance without multithreading). But it improves
code with mixed integer/floating-point instructions (good speed
improvements (+75%) if you run integer and floating-point code in
parallel).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Actually, Microsoft is sort of a mixture between the Borg and the
Ferengi.