Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:36:12 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Odd messages at startup after deleting device drivers

I got bold yesterday and went into my custom kernel configuration and commented
out all the devices that I don't have and don't think I'll be needed soon.
Everything went find and the machine came back up (somewhat more quickly now!)
after a reboot.  However, I see the following messages during the boot:

config> di sio1
No such device: sio1
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di sio0
No such device: sio0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di sn0
No such device: sn0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di lnc0
No such device: lnc0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di ie0
No such device: ie0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di fe0
No such device: fe0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di cs0
No such device: cs0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di bt0
config> di aic0
config> di aha0
config> di adv0
config> q

Who generates these messages, and what do they mean?

The first two ports are serial ports; I commented them out because I have
nothing attached to the serial ports.  Should I have left them in?  I assume
that "disable" on the device directive means "disable this device," but does it
also remove the overhead of the driver?  Maybe the system is probing or being
probed by the serial ports even though they are not used (?).  There is no modem
card in the machine.

What are lnc0, ie0, fe0, and cs0?  They were in the NIC section, so I thought
(from the comments) that they were wireless NICs.  Apparently they are something
else.  What do they do?

Also, what are the other config commmands or messages doing?  They didn't
generate any error messages, but I don't recall seeing them on startup before
(unless I just missed them).  I wasn't sure if I could comment them out, as they
appear to be generic SCSI controllers or something.  I commented out the SCSI
controllers that I knew I did not have, leaving only an EISA AHA1742 family
(because I wasn't sure if it applied to me) and a AHA2940 family (because I'm
pretty sure it _does_ apply to me--my one and only SCSI adapter is an Adaptec
2930).