Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:16:26 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

At 08:51 PM 1/20/2000 , Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    ICMP_BANDLIM has been in the tree for some time now and I have never
>     received a bad bug report from people using it.  I might recommend
>     increasing the default net.inet.icmp.icmplim from 100 to 200, but
>     otherwise I think it could be turned on by default without causing
>     any ill effects.
>
>     I would personally prefer that we wait until after the 4.0 release
>     before changing the default to on.

How about one of the "golden" releases along 3.X-STABLE? After all, those
of us who are conservative will not be deploying 4.X in mission-critical
applications until the 4.1 or 4.2 point release (depending on how well
things go).

I'd certainly like to see TCP_RESTRICT_RST on by default. Blocking RSTs
is getting to be a standard feature. Our lab's Windows boxes run BlackIce
Defender, which does this, and it makes them pretty resilient.

And is there any reason NOT to turn on TCP_DROP_SYNFIN?

--Brett