Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:35:07 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        dpoland@omniresources.com
Subject:   Re: Which java - jdk1.2-beta or linux-java?

Doug Poland (dpoland@execpc.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several questions about java for FreeBSD.
>
> 1.  I need to run java on my 4.2-RELEASE box.  The code
> came from W*****sNT using java2 or jdk1.3 Should I install
> jdk1.2-beta or linux-jdk?

If your code is jdk1.3-based, the only current solution is to install
linux-jdk1.3, in the ports collection.

I'm using linux-jdk1.2 right now, but plan to test my stuff with the
native BSD beta-jdk1.2. More information is available at
http://www.freebsd.org/java

> 3.  Can jdk-1.1.8, jdk1.2-beta, and linux-jdk co-exist?

Yes. Install them all. You will need to play around with some
environment variables, particularly JAVA_HOME, which points to the
directory of the jdk you wish to use. You will also need to specify
your PATH environemnt variable so that you are using the correct
Java tools like javac, etc. I set my .profile file to include:

#JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.1.8; export JAVA_HOME
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2; export JAVA_HOME

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/bin; export PATH

If I want to use jdk1.1.8, I simply uncomment the proper JAVA_HOME line.

You can use this same approach in any shell scripts which launch Java
programs; most everything looks for the JAVA_HOME variable.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com