Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:24:50 PDT
From:      "Jane Frodo" <jfrodo42@hotmail.com>
To:        dhw@whistle.com, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov, jegelhof@cloud9.net
Subject:   NIS: The saga continues...

In the last episode, Guy Helmer asked:

You mentioned DES before, but to double-check, what are
/usr/lib/libcrypt*
linked to on your clients?  They apparently should be linked to
/usr/lib/libdescrypt*.

I checked both the server and the client, and the
listings are identical.  The links are to libdescrypt.a,
libdescrypt.so.2.0, and libdescrypt_p.a respectively.
Also, I would think this type of thing is ruled out by the
fact that I can successfully change any password on
the server through the passwd utility on the client?

 And, what is the format of your magic cookie in
/etc/master.passwd?

Both are identical, to wit:
+:*::::::::

Is this the right list for this kind of thing? Should
I maybey cross post this to -hackers, or -isp?
Also, does anyone actually have this working on 2.2.5?
I know I've seen a LOT of troubles with it when I searched
the archives, but no real solutions that I could see.  Of
course, I didn't see *this* problem there, so maybe it's
just my wacky network?

To repeat what I said last time:
Help.  Ohhhh Help....

Jane.