Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 04:36:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Thakingfish <thakingfish@hal3000.cx>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dnetc in FBSD

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 03:31:26AM -0600, Alex Charalabidis wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Thakingfish wrote:
> >
> > > Revision 1.20 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Sun Jan 21
> > > 00:48:20 2001 UTC (7 hours, 49 minutes ago) by kris
> > > Branch: MAIN
> > > CVS Tags: HEAD
> > > Changes since 1.19: +2 -1 lines
> > > Diff to previous 1.19 (colored)
> > > Mark FORBIDDEN; local buffer overflows yielding user nobody.
> > >
> > Looking at the Makefile, it appears that dbaker himself marked
> > it. Straight from the horse's mouth, though the horse doesn't seem to have
> > told anyone anything so far... I'm sure it'll get its fair share of
> > publicity soon enough.
>
> No, it was me ("kris" :-). It means what it says; the dnetc client is
> installed setuid nobody, and I discovered that it has locally
> exploitable buffer overflows which can be used to gain the privileges
> of that user. On many systems the nobody user actually has ownership
> of some files, etc, and may even be used to run services (the apache
> ports are a prime offender here), so this is a potential security risk
> on those systems.

Oops, misread it. So it was the horse, not the cow. :) We'll be expecting
an advisory whenever they fix it. Moo.

Sure, it's a problem for everyone who runs so much stuff as nobody that
they might as well run it as root. I think I'll just assign it its own
user. Not that I care more than anyone else to litter the world with
separate users for every trivial task, but is it worth doing by default
for this particular package?

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
System Administrator                         Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/