Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 05:00:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Glen Gross <ggross@symark.com>
Cc:        "'Lev Serebryakov'" <lev@imc.macro.ru>, All <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ntpdate could not sync time from any server.

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Glen Gross wrote:

(re message: 'no server suitable for synchronization found')

 > I have had the same experience, with a DSL line.  I don't know if
 > ntpdate requires the time to be within a certain threshold before
 > it will sync or not.

Yes, it does; -t sets the time ntpdate will wait for a valid response.
Still get one of these logged once every few days when upstream PPP link
is extra heavily used, but used to get it much more often before using:

  ntpdate -t 2.4 -s ntp.ml.csiro.au ntp.cs.mu.oz.au judge.lis.net.au

That's 2.4 seconds.  man ntpdate isn't exactly clear re the unit format,
but it does say that the default of 1 second is suitable for a LAN.

Cheers, Ian