Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:59:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Petr Holub <hopet@ics.muni.cz>
Subject:   Re: ACPI

On 12-Jan-02 Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
> There is no 5-STABLE.

That was his point: it's a long way off so he wants ACPI backported to 4-STABLE
so he can use it w/o running current. :)

I doubt this will happen any time soon as it doesn't work completely
on many systems, however, Mike Smith would be a better person to ask
about this.

>> The things I need most is battery status reporting and fan control
>> using ACPI. Suspending would be convenient but I think is is much
>> more complex since it involves a lot of different drivers to work
>> in ACPI compliant way.

Hmm, does fan control work under current on your laptop?  It doesn't
on mine. :-P  The fan seems to be controlled by the BIOS and ignores
commands from the OS.  Battery reporting does work, and suspend and
resume work on my laptop as well.

>> The other way I tried was using acpicatools on 4.4. I found device
>> BAT0 which is correctly reported as Li-ION but I don't know how
>> to get it's status (specificaly current battery capacity in
>> percents). Is it possible to get it using these tools without
>> having 5-CURRENT?

Not really, you need the kernel support for these to be useful.