Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 2020 15:43:31 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Create new geli file system using existing key

I suspect the answer to this is "you can't" and I can understand some
strong arguments against it, but I have a case where it would be handy and
not a security risk.

Can I initialize a GELI partition using the same key I am currently using
for teh file system it is replacing? I am moving to a new computer and
would love to keep the key (not pass phrase) I am currently using as it
will greatly simplify my backup procedure.

I could dd copy the existing raw, encrypted partition, but my new system
has a larger disk and dd of a partition results in the partition being
resized to match the source partition size.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com