Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:35:40 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux For Managers...

Johnson David wrote:
> A coworker and I are planning on replacing about 20 LynxOS lab workstations
> with FreeBSD. We originally chose LynxOS because that's what our embedded
> products use. But its getting too expensive to support it on workstation, and
> they're difficult to maintain.
>
> I stepped up to the plate and set up a prototype workstation with FreeBSD,
> with an identical look-and-feel to the other workstations (mwm, development
> scripts, etc), and created a step-by-step guide to installation and
> configuration.
>
> The sole purpose of these workstations is to connect to our embedded products
> via cu.
>
> We are all set to go to roll out FreeBSD to the other lab workstations. But
> some Linux advocate in the company is starting to raise a stink (even though
> he is unwilling to help in the conversion and subsequent maintenance). Now
> the manager in charge of the machines wants a report on why FreeBSD was
> chosen instead of Linux. Sigh.
>
> So what good reasons translated into Manager-ese can I present?

1)	Your employee who is doing the work knows FreeBSD.

2)	If you ever want to switch your embedded product over to
	get around the support expense there, too, then FreeBSD
	is a better choice, because of the license.

3)	The people pushing Linux aren't willing to do the work.

Argument #2 works best if you have kernel modules, drivers, etc.,
which are in the boot path for your device, and your company is
not willing to give away the source code to them.

-- Terry