Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:37:59 -0600
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "Paul Hoffman" <phoffman@proper.com>
Cc:        freeBSD-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modifying a port and keeping the mods across updates

On 1/19/07, Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com> wrote:
> Greetings again. I have a two-part question that may be a ports FAQ,
> but I couldn't find such a beast.
>
> (1) For a particular port, I need to change the the MAKE_ENV to make
> it build the way I want. What is the proper way to do this that will
> live beyond the next time I do a cvsup? That is, editing the Makefile
> works just fine, but I want something that will live if the Makefile
> gets reverted.

Use the sysutils/portconf port and define the apporiate variable in
PREFIX/etc/ports.conf.

> (2) For a particular port, I need to patch a particular source file.
> This is a patch that will probably be in a future release. Same
> question as above: what's the proper way to do this that will live
> beyond the next cvsup? I know how to use 'patch' to apply patches,
> but not yet to create them.

To create a patch you first need to create a backup of the original
file, then create the diff.

cp file.c file.c-orig
<make changes to file.c
diff -u file.c-orig file.c > patch-file.c

Then place the patch file into /usr/ports/<category>/<portname>/files.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.