Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 96 09:52:10 GMT
From:      Tim Bissell <tjb@fnbc.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone built gcc 2.7.2.1 on FreeBSD?

Hi,

Has anyone there built gcc 2.7.2.1 (or any gcc > 2.6.3) on FreeBSD 2.x?  I can
build it and use it, but get occasional compiler warnings because it uses its
own stddef.h in preference to /usr/include/stddef.h, which results in warnings
about empty definitions in sys/types.h.

The problem appears to be that the GNU stddef.h includes <machine/ansi.h> but
then redefines defines _BSD_SIZE_T_ and _BSD_SSIZE_T_ to empty strings, rather
than "int" and "unsigned int", or undefining them completely.

I can bodge a fix by inserting

#if defined(__FreeBSD__)
#undef _BSD_SIZE_T_
#undef _BSD_SSIZE_T_
#endif

in the GNU stddef.h but don't know enough about FreeBSD to know what
the implications are of having included <machine/ansi.h> but
undefined _BSD_SIZE_T_...

Anyone else been through this?  I guess we should make the GNU maintainers of
gcc aware of the problem, because their code tries to cater for FreeBSD.

Tim
Thanks