Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:16:24 +0900
From:      Masahiro Sekiguchi <seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: errormessages

> Why dont errormessages contain an unique errornumber too?

Because it makes users feel some thing like they were living in '50s
or '60s.  :-)

BTW,

> Like: "foo: Error#13: Smurf seriously overgulfed"

> easier to find the error, when somebody on the mailinglists
> writes "Hey, I got this message something like the Smurf was gulfed".

I see no significant difference between that and "Error#13 occured;"
It will only cause a flood of replys saying something like:

	"Just saying Error#13 helps nothing; the name of the quimmer
	is absolutely important to solve your gulfer problem.  Was it
	Smurf, Snarf or Barf?"

The point is, when we ask about the message we don't understand, we
have to include *entire* message in its *complete* form in the mail.
Since message numbers give users impression that just writing the
number is enough, the bad practice of tightfisted question will be
propagated.