Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 19:30:32 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        Cleto Pescia <cleto@eurisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ps ax shows login after 4.2-RELEASE -> 4-STABLE upgrade

As it was put forth by Cleto Pescia on Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 06:51:30PM +0200...
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry if this question sounds odd, but I just noticed a strange thing
> after having updated a 4.2-RELEASE box to 4-STABLE with make world:
> When I issue "ps ax", I see a login line for each user (login -p
> <username>) who is logged on. I have never seen something like that on
> other FreeBSD boxes. Is something wrong or is that an expected behaviour?
> Searching the mailing-lists archives did not return anything relevant.
> Apart from that, up to now the box seems to be working just fine.
>
> Thanks for any hint.
>
> Cleto

	I also have login -p followed by my username.  I am not, or have ever
run telnetd.  I installed on July 4th, and cvsupped to 4.x Stable on the
16th.  I have not yet applied the patch for telnetd because I don't use
that daemon.  Something worth finding out is the file the system consults
to get the default flags for the login command when a user logs in.  If -p
is included, then I think we're safe.

Ian