Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 19:19:59 +0100
From:      Norbert Meißner <norbert.meissner@str.daimler-benz.com>
To:        Per Beckman <pelle@moonman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

Per Beckman wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My name is Per Beckman, and I have this little problem
> I tought you might be able to help me with...
>
> You see, a few months ago my school were given a few
> Sun Solaris SparcStation
> I didnīt know anything about unix from beginning, but I knew
> it was one of the greatest os.. Anyway, I had to learn pretty
> much, and know when Iīm quitting school I just canīt stop
> using unix. Since I knew I couldīnt afford to buy my own Workstation,
> I began
> looking at Linux and FreeBSD. Now, heres the question:
> Which should I use?
> FreeBSD or Linux?
> (now I have a Intel 200 PC)
>
> TIA
> Pelle
> pelle@moonman.com

give freebsd a chance, its running much more stable as linux. on linux
everyone's programming some new features, maybe nice but you can't tell
if its working with other software. on the freebsd-side there are 3
releases (stable, release, current) which aren't represent the latest
software-development (of the last two weeks ;-)). i prefer the release
package. you can download it on ftp.freebsd.org or purchase a cd from
walnut creek (this is what i've done, a little difficult in germany).

greetings
norbert