Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 23:44:53 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Kris Kirby" <kris@catonic.net>
Cc:        "Wai Chan" <waichan@hpu.edu>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: outgoing traffic load balancing with multiple ISP

Wai's problem isn't that he cannot load balance if he
wanted to, because as you and I pointed out, once you have
your own AS number you can do what you want.

Wai's biggest problem is that ISP#1 sends all traffic to
ISP#2.  While Wai can set up so that both routes are equal
cost to the NOC that ISP#2 is connected to, in effect
he is competing with his own traffic on the link from ISP#2
to the rest of the world.

For example (and keep in mind that Wai has not supplied bandwidth
on his serial links so all this is speculation - one of the dangers
of theorizing without sufficient information, as I've pointed out
to certain people in this forum already)  Suppose Wai has a T1
to ISP#1 and a T1 to ISP#2.  When Wai's traffic is balanced, he
can send 3Mbts to ISP#2. (1.5 directly and 1.5 routed through ISP#1)
Sounds good - but only if ISP#2 has
3Mbts _available_ on ISP#2's connection to The World.

In most of these scenarios, your going to find that ISP#2 is simply
aggregating all it's customer traffic together and is running it's
feeds to The World at 80% or more capacity.  Thus, the larger that
Wai's total bandwidth connection is into the combined network formed
by ISP#1 and ISP#2, the less chance there is that he will realize
any additional gain.  My guess is that no matter how big that Wai
makes the combined pipe to the network formed by ISP#1 and ISP#2,
he's not going to realize any bandwidth gain past a certain level, a
level that is probably somewhat below that of the pipe to ISP#2.

Ultimately, like I was saying before Wai's best option if he is
going to use ISP#2, is to do what is possible to reduce the money
paid out to ISP#1.  Frankly, it was a bad decision for Wai's net
to plug into ISP#2 to begin with, but I'll give him the benefit of
the doubt and assume that when they purchased bandwidth to ISP#2
that they wern't aware that ISP#1 was getting all of it's bandwidth
from ISP#2.  It would have been better from a use standpoint to
plug into a completely separate network then get an AS number and
do their own advertising.