Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:45:49 -0600
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        Tim Stahl <phantomnoble@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Got a quick question.

Tim Stahl wrote:

> Does FreeBSD run on a standard Linux kernel.... or is it an actual UNIX
> kernel... or something completely different?
>
> Just out of utter stupidity and curiousity,
> -Tim

Tim,
	FreeBSD is a *nix operating system that has its own kernel, although it
does have an linux emulation library that allows it to run nearly all of
the linux programs I have come across. If you are familiar with linux,
then Using FreeBSD wouldn't be much of a strech for you, they feel
similar, although FreeBSD uses a more standard file layout than most
linux distros. In short:

FreeBSD does not have anything to do with linux, it is an actual UNIX
OS, not just a kernel.

--
Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator