Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:57:28 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>
Cc:        support@junglenote.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcpd

>> >I'm looking for a dhcp solution where the server denies address-lease
>> renewal
>> >and forces the
>> >client to request a lease for another. In other words the main idea is
that

>> th
>> >e client address
>> >changes with every renewal period. Is it possible and if so how?
>>
>> I'm not sure why you would want to do this.  I can only imagine one
>> possibility:  an attempt to prevent your users from setting up servers
>> on dhcp clients.
>>
>> I don't think you've fully thought this through.  What do you expect to
>> happen to open sessions when the IP address suddenly changes underneath
>> them?  Your users will want your head if you do this to them.  You
>> really need to think of a different solution.
>>
>> -Mitch
>
>That is a very broad and sweeping thing to say. I think you are likely
>right about servers,

Yes it is, but keep reading.  He confirmed my guess about wanting it to
prevent servers.  Really all it does to people who want to run a server
is annoy them.  Meanwhile it annoys your friendly non-abusing users as
well.  Not what I would consider a good idea.  Not long ago I met a guy
who was running a web server on a machine using dhcp.  He had a friend
running his DNS service and every time his IP address changed he just
sent the new address to his friend who updated his DNS and he was back
in business.  Of course this works best if both you and your friend
spend all your time on the net...

>but also, it is a good tool for keeping people
>from trying to keep 24/7 connections open; the behaviour you list as
>something that should make that comletely useless is, in fact, the
>behaviour looked for.

On a hardwired non-dialin network, why would you care about 24/7
connections?  For a network the scarce resource is bandwidth, not how
long the connection stays open.  In the modem world the scarce
resource is phone lines, so modem camping is discouraged, but not with
dhcp.

-Mitch