Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:34:11 -0500
From:      RWinters@QKan.Quintiles.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems installing 3.3 Release over DOS partition

Please help a complete newbie....

I'm trying to install the 3.3 release over a DOS partition and I'm having some
trouble.  The trouble is that I'm getting a "Makedev returned non-zero status"
error message and installation quits.  When I did an alt-F2, I found quite a few
"chown not found" error messages and "abort trap" error messages.  I decided to
do the whole installation again, but this time I watched the message log.
During the copying bin into / process, I got a lot of error messages about
"stand/cpio: bad header", "stand/cpio: bad checksum", and "stand/cpio: ignoring
XXXXX bytes of junk".  I thought this was probably due to a problem with one of
the files in the /bin directory, so I copied (FTP) over everything in the /bin
directory to my local hard drive again.  The problem repeated itself.  I've also
tried remaking the floppies with fresh copies of kern.flp and mfsroot.flp, but
that didn't work either.

Some specifics about my system:
It is an AMD K6-2 400 MHz
 128 MB RAM
Primary IDE0: 13 GB used by Win98 (FAT32)
Secondary IDE0: 1 GB (this is where I want to install FreeBSD)
Primary  IDE1: 405 MB used as backup (FAT16)
Secondary IDE1: CD-ROM drive
Two parallel ports
Mouse on COM1
Modem on COM2

I originally had Red Hat Linux 6 install on half of the 1 GB drive and I tried
to install FreeBSD on the other half.  I thought that might be causing the
problem, so I tried deleting Linux and using the entire drive for FreeBSD, but
that did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?