Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:37:49 -0800
From:      "Joseph I. Davida" <jd108@pacbell.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Staroffice 5.2 and Java

I am running FreeBSD 4.2 on which I have installed the
following Java SDK's and JRE's in /usr/local:
jdk1.1.8 jdk1.2.2 j2re1.3 j2sdk1.3 jdk1.3.0_01 jre1.3
Except for jdk1.1.8, all these java packages were
downloaded from Sun.

I installed Staroffice from the ports collection
/usr/ports/editors/staroffice52.

After the installation I run the soffice script
(as regular user) and it takes you through the
gui menus - one of which lets you browse for
the Java environment, because it could not find
any Java runtime environemt installed.
Even if I try to point it's browser at /usr/local,
it keeps selecting /usr/compat/linux/usr/local.
Even if I copy all the JDK's and JRE's to
/usr/compat/linux/usr/local, it still says
that it could not find any Java environment.
Maybe someone has come across this problem
and solved it?

Cheers,

Joe